Saturday, May 17, 2008

So, Dan Abrams read my letter on the air last night

While I understand that the media will take something and twist it to their purpose, I don't take kindly to being misrepresented. Mr. "I'm a fair broker, I call it like I see it" pissed me off. If you're such a fair broker Dan, why didn't you read what I actually wrote?

So Wednesday night Dan Abrams does a segment on Hillary as VP. He goes on and on about how she, and I quote "deserves to be VP", then asks to hear from Obama Supporters on why they don't want her on the ticket. I fire off this letter to Mr. Abrams:

To: Verdict with Dan Abrams
Re: Exactly why Obama supporters don't want Hillary on the Ticket

Three letters. SNL. The intro last weekend was spot on. Whether the media wants to admit it, or cover it, that is as close as it gets to the truth about how we feel. Politics may be politics, but the winds of Change are blowing in this Country, and we, the Obama supporters, will not accept politics as usual as the excuse for bad behavior. Hillary Clinton flies in the face of Obama's message of Hope and Change. We will accept no less than what we deserve, and that is to take our Country back from the Politicians of Washington DC. And that includes taking it back from Hillary Clinton.

You asked "Doesn't she deserve the VP spot?" Don't you get it Dan? No, she doesn't deserve it. The Vice Presidency of the United States is not a consolation prize. She fought hard. She lost. There is no second place. Besides, doesn't Barack Obama deserve to pick his own Vice President?

And this is what ended up being read on the air:

You asked "Doesn't she deserve the VP spot?" Don't you get it Dan? No, she doesn't deserve it. The Vice Presidency of the United States is not a consolation prize. She lost. There is no second place.

AND this is Mr. Dillweed's response:

Nina I'm not saying Obama should pick her to compensate her, I agree there is no such thing as deserving the VP slot, I'm saying she has a huge constituency and I fear Obama supporters don't want her on the ticket just 'cause they don't like her.

Which of course elicited this response from me:

To: Verdict with Dan Abrams
Re: Regarding my letter and your response

Here is what I wrote:
You asked "Doesn't she deserve the VP spot?" Don't you get it Dan? No, she doesn't deserve it. The Vice Presidency of the United States is not a consolation prize. She fought hard. She lost. There is no second place. Besides, doesn't Barack Obama deserve to pick his own Vice President?

Here is how it got edited and read on the air:
You asked "Doesn't she deserve the VP spot?" Don't you get it Dan? No, she doesn't deserve it. The Vice Presidency of the United States is not a consolation prize. She lost. There is no second place.

Firstly I don't much care for the misrepresentation on air of what I wrote. My statement gave credit for a hard fought campaign, the one you read did not. Are you intentionally trying to portray Obama supporters as fifth graders?

You want the truth? Some Obama supporters think Clinton would make a great VP. Many don't because they believe she represents Old Washington. Still more don't like her. She has attacked Obama, many times unfairly, and many times unjustly, all in the name of politics. She has attacked us for believing in what she calls rhetoric. That was the first point in my letter, which you didn't read because it made a valid point and you insist on treating us like we are unreasonable. Besides, we currently have an Administration we "don't like" as you put it, it's time we had an Administration that we can be proud of and believe in. And this business of "don't like" treats us like we are in grade school. We've grown up, it's time you do as well.

The letter that was read after mine made the point, and I'm paraphrasing, that the author doesn't trust Hillary Clinton. Of course Dan dismissed that as a valid point as well. I however, think it's directly on point. Dan, I'm sick and tried, and BITTER that I can't/don't trust my current Administration, why in hell would I want someone else anywhere near the White House that I don't trust?

Apparently Mr. Abrams doesn't quite get it. The Politics of Destruction are unacceptable to us. I tried to make that point, but obviously the media wants no part of it, they're going to milk it for all it's worth. After all, ratings are money.

Original here

No comments: