Friday, February 22, 2008

Wooed Wisconsin super delegate makes his decision (updated)

Remember Jason Rae? He's the youngest DNC member, or one of them, I believe. His home base is my county party. I had just joined my local party during the '04 general election when he ran a successful campaign to be one of Wisconsin's four DNC members. The remarkable thing was that he was only 17 years old.

Since then, he's certainly gone places. Recent news has been that that surrogates for Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama--including Bill Clinton and John Kerry--have been courting him, trying to sway his vote as a superdelegate. He's certainly been more self-contained and diplomatic than I could have been, had Madeline Albright called me up to chat.

Now he's announced his decision.
rhubarb's diary :: ::


Phenomenon
In a dispatch today, Rae noted that there is a huge movement in Wisconsin.

I wanted to write to you today, before you see it in the news, to inform you that I have officially endorsed Senator Barack Obama for President of the United States. This was a difficult decision for me to make. While I had every intention of remaining neutral in the race, Tuesdayʼs primary results showed a huge movement in Wisconsin, a movement of which I want to be a part.

A margin of 17% in a state that gave Kerry a spare 11,000 votes in the '04 general, and Gore an even sparer 2,000 votes really does represent a "huge movement." Good on you, Jason.

Youth
As I posted last Saturday, the crowds of young people turning out for Obama have been hard to ignore.

Look at the composition of the long, long line waiting to see Senator Obama speak last Saturday in Eau Claire.
Jason Rae is well attuned to the youth vote.

Back in 2004, I ran for the Democratic National Committee because I wanted to represent Americaʼs next generation of voters. Well, yesterday, that generation spoke. According to CNN exit polls, 73% of 18-to-24 year olds turned out in support of Senator Obama. That is an outstanding number. But it wasnʼt only young people turning out; people all over Wisconsin turned out overwhelming to support Senator Obama. I have a responsibility to listen to the voices that I am representing.

I do firmly believe that we have two qualified, talented candidates seeking the nomination. However, when I see one candidate energizing a new generation like Senator Obama is, I cannot help but be impressed and inspired. As I think about who I want to lead our country and party forward, I cannot think of another candidate to do that than Senator Barack Obama.

Congratulations, Jason Rae, congratulations, Wisconsinites, and congratulations, America. I appreciate a super delegate who is, at heart, a true democrat.

Original here



No comments: